Calvary Baptist Church



In 1884, First Baptist Church established a mission Sunday school in a small schoolhouse at Fifth Avenue and Sixth Street Southwest. This became Second Baptist Church in 1890, and a church building was erected at that site in 1891. The name was changed to Calvary Baptist Church in 1897. The growing congregation constructed a new building at Third Avenue and Twelfth Street Southwest in the 1940s. Mission Sunday schools started by Calvary members led to the founding of several other area churches, but continued growth resulted in the move to our current facility in 1979.